Thursday, August 9, 2007

no more lost & crooked needles~

first of all i would like to say thanks for all your lovely comments about my first trial quilt patch. it's definitely worth all the pain! :) so while i am still waiting for a good thimble, i make something that is equally fun!

i like to make pincushion or needlebook for others or in swaps. they are so versatile to make and i've so much fun with the pic/pattern on them. but i've never have thoughts to make one for myself to use. i'd use a fabric scrap to pin in my needles together with the leftover floss in a metal box and that's very messy! i always lost count of my needles because sometimes they would drop out into the sea of floss and i will pricked my fingers looking for them. and the worst part is, when i was in a hurry to pack everything up, i would quickly cramped the floss together with the scrap and shut the metal cover of the box and *clack*! i'd clamped in the needle too and they crooked :/

so until recently, when i'd started to have more specialised needles like quilting & applique & more long pins.... i think i got to have a more decent place for them. a needlebook would be a good idea :) so i'd made one!! with a wee smiley cloud cushion too :>

it was made from muslin and batting and i'd inserted a cardboard in the front so the needles would not be easily stick out through the layers. size: 9cm x 6.5cm .

... the fun part is the bias binding!! the result is so satisfying! lol. :) & i'd chosed one of my ambassador girls for the cover because i still missing them! lol. ;}

the tree button was from a swap. i think it look quite cute adding it here. and the cloud.. ashley said it look like a fish in the sky :'

at first, i planned to use a sew-on snap for the closure but i think a cute button would be quite nice. but this button is definitely not cute at all!!! lol. i tried to match with the colors too and i only have this that's red :(

~ Happy Needles & Pins~

:)

hoorah for next week coz i'll be going back to my hometown visiting my family with ashley for two weeks!! :) and totally no internet connection :( lol! anyway, would enjoy the break and catch up with you all again when i'm back!

11 comments:

Locket Pocket said...

That's so gorgeous Est, I love your embroidery style and the colours work so well. I really like the red button too! Have a lovely trip home. Lucyxx

Samantha Caffee said...

This is so cute! We need a swap!

jess said...

This is so darling! I love when projects inspire other projects. If I have a chance later today I'll post who the other swappers are for the buttons. I actually had some people bail on me, so I'm not exactly sure who I'm still waiting on. Hopefully I'll know by the end of the week. By the way, thanks so much for those beautiful buttons you sent me! I'm already finding projects to use them in. I especially loved the lady buttons!

Katherine said...

Love the needlebook idea! I've been working on ideas for one of my own LOL. Yours is so charming with the embroidery and sweet bias binding edges.

est said...

hey! that's a very great idea samantha (little dresses)! a needlebook swap sounds like a lot of fun!! just a mini needlebook that's fast & easy to make for everyone! anyone want to volunteer to organise the swap? i'll be away for 2 weeks starting this coming monday...

Raesha D said...

I love it! The detail is amazing fur such a fun little needlebook. Great job.

futuregirl said...

Your needlebook is so cute! I love the little tree button and cloud pin cushion. You make the cutest things. :)

I only have one needle book and it's the owl one you made me. I take it with me everywhere. I love it so much.

Beertje Zonn said...

What a lovely Happy Needles & Pinsbook.
Kind Regards,

Sonnja

twosweetkids said...

i love that needles & pins holder.. have to try itmyself! :)

hannah said...

such a cute needle book, Love it!

Lissa Jane said...

your needlebook is so cute.. of course I have a gorgeous needle pin, its HUGE and I still have a tangled mess of threads in it! and in the arm of the lounge, my shirt... well you get the drift! I loved your blog and I'll visit often!